Monday, December 3, 2007

Advertising

My advice to advertisers to be able to market better to the 18 to 24 year olds is to have pop culture references that are unique to their generation or use humor. I saw an ad recently, I actually don’t even know what it was for but it caught my attention, but the ad was funny and made a culture reference that only young people would get. Basically it involved some guys playing something that was like a Wii and then breaking a TV because of it. It was the first commercial I have seen in a long time that actually made me laugh really hard. Unfortunately I don’t remember what it was advertising. So I guess what is important is to get people interested in it and then get them to realize what you are trying to sell. It helps to give out free stuff because most people really like to get free stuff. The Minnesota State Fair is a good example of this. The University of St. Thomas started giving out purple cloth bags one year. The next year everyone had seen these bags and wanted one. Starting a trend like this is another great way. Basically if you can get kids to want something it is a great way to get them interested. The Scion car company gave out free t-shirts and have a good example of a website that attempts to appeal to younger people. The most important thing is to have a product that young people need. It doesn’t matter what you are advertising if the product is not for 18 to 24 year olds they aren’t going to care what it is.

No comments: