Sunday, October 7, 2007
Rolling Stone
In my lifetime the magazine that I have kept the longest allegiance to was Rolling Stone. That was until recently. Last year as my subscription ran out and I was sent letter after letter trying to get me to renew, I realized I really didn't care whether or not I kept receiving the magazine. To me it had become boring to read, all the articles were the same, and I could find better information about the people the editors considered important in five minutes of surfing the Internet. The magazine has strayed far from its roots. The magazine started out as part of the sixties counterculture and now has come around to being an advocate of mainstream pop culture. The winners of American Idol have appeared on the cover along with other actors and musicians who are essentially one hit wonders. They are shown at the top of their fifteen minutes of fame and have no real significance. The article or profiles of famous people in the magazine are never very interesting. The reviews are biased heavily to in favor of artists who are very established. Certain artists will get great reviews no matter what it seems. Many people may dislike the magazine as well because of its heavily liberal bias. It doesn’t bother me but many people subscribing for a music magazine will not be happy with some of the opinion pieces. I liked the magazine at first but after awhile it seems with all magazine it starts to become repetitious and it is time to move on.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment